Lunches for me are a way to re energize with something simple like a salad, veggies and hummus or soup. Whatever it may be, I try to include lots of veggies, protein, dairy and a simple dressing, if its needed. My lunches are always set to 400 calories, so feel free to alter to your needs. Please feel free to share ways you may have added simple twists, I am always on the look-out for new ideas.
Super Protein Spinach salad
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 hard boiled egg diced
- 1 piece of bacon, crumbled
- 2 ounces tuna
- 1 roma tomato, diced
- 1 ounce blue cheese
- dressing: 1 tablespoon guacamole, 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon light ranch dressing. Mix
Sweet kale salad with cranberries and feta
- 1 cup kale, cut leaf and stems
- 1 cup spring mix
- 1/4 cup no sugar cranberries
- 1 oz feta cheese
The dressing was something that was easy. I love poppy seed dressing and I love oranges in the winter. I used a store brought poppy seed dressing (preferably made with honey or agave) and a winter orange balsamic vinegar. I mixed 1 tablespoon poppy seed dressing and 1 teaspoon vinegar.
Arugula and Beet salad with goat cheese with a fig balsamic vinaigrette
- 2 cups arugula
- 1/4 cut sliced beets (either from a can or pre-baked)
- 1 oz sliced red onions
- 1 oz goat cheese
- 1/2 sliced avocado
- 4 oz sliced chicken
Fig Balsamic Vinaigrette: 1/4 cup fig balsamic vinegar, 1/4 cup EVOO, juice from 1 mandarin orange and 2 teaspoons agave. Put all ingredients together and shake.
Tuna Caesar salad with avocado Caesar dressing
The salad is a traditional Caesar with one twist, I add diced roma tomato. Something about the sweetness of the roma tomato with the saltiness of anchovy, its heaven to me. This is a recipe for 5 salads, if you follow, it should be less than 400 calories.
- 10 cups chopped romaine (2 cups per salad)
- 3 roma tomatoes
- shredded Parmesan cheese (1/4 cup, per salad)
- 5 cans tuna fish, drained
- Whole Wheat small croutons (1/8 cup each salad)
- 2 tablespoon dressing (below)
Put 2 cups of romaine and 1/4 cup of shredded cheese in salad container. Drain tuna, place in separate container and top with 1/5 of diced tomatoes. When your ready to eat, top the salad with tune and tomatoes, sprinkle a few croutons on, add 2 tablespoons of dressing and enjoy.
- 2 small avocados
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 small garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons anchovy paste
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Put all ingredients in a small blender (I use a magic bullet). When blended, put it in a seal container.
Italian Salad with Grilled Chicken and a homemade vinaigrette, two ways
The dressing was the easy part: 1/2 cup red wine vinegar, 1/4 cup EVOO, juice of 1 lemon, 2 tablespoons Agave, 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, 1 teaspoon each garlic and onion powder, 2 tablespoons Italian herb blend (basil, oregano, parsley). Shake well before use.
To help the salad stay fresh for the week, I always split the salads up by packing the chicken and greens separately from the cheese and toppings (in this case, the tomatoes, cucumbers, onions and avocado).
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup spring mix
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes and cucumbers
- 1/2 small avocado, chopped
- a little bit of chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons feta cheese
- 4 ounces chopped chicken (grilled).
- 2 cups Romaine shredded
- 4 ounces chicken
- 1 small roma tomato
- 1/4 english cucumber chopped
- chopped red onion
- 1/2 small avocado
- Same dressing as above, however add 1/8 cup grated parmesan cheese
Chopped Blue Cheese Salad
- 1 cup chopped cabbage (red and green)
- 1 cup chopped iceberg lettuce
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped tomato
- 1/2 small avocado
- 1/4 cup blue cheese
- 1 can (4 ounces) chicken
The salad dressing is one of my ways to save some time and save on some calories while adding a little vinegar for flavor and health benefits.
- 1 ounce any store bought Ranch (whichever you prefer, I do tend to buy the light version)
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar